Monday, October 3, 2011

Marijuana Myth

Denial of marijuana use being a problem for our society is itself a significant societal problem. I don't pretend to have a solution -- but when I both look at some members of my extended family and recall what I observed during a career as a public school teacher, I know that denial of marijuana's negative effects is counterproductive.

Part of the problem is the "soft" parents who smoked pot 20 or 30 years ago when the marijuana was about 1/5th as strong as today's "weed." The other part of the problem is today's kids tend to start smoking earlier in their lives.

Note: 85% of today's chemically dependent people started their drug use with pot (and the other 15% started with alcohol).

Note: The brain isn't fully developed until age 24 or 25. This drug that profoundly affects the brain and neurotransmitters especially causes big problems in the developing brain.

The following article highlights "social acceptance masking pot's dangers".

I post this because of tragedies occurring within my extended family are proof of what the article highlights.