Translate

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Trump’s Wall: Harbinger of the Future

A family friend recently expressed their horror about Trump’s Wall. Since I’m very pro-environment, she assumed that I’d automatically be pro-illegal immigration, etcetera. I’m not. Indeed, I’ve quit donating to environmental groups because of their increasingly favoring illegal immigration. Artificially pumping up our population to suppress wages increases the drain on our natural resources and leaves us saddled with a large mass of people that are too hard to assimilate. 

Let me explain:
I grew up in the Rio Grande Valley (RGV). My wife is Hispanic. The school district I attended was predominantly Hispanic. The immigrants that came over at that time were primarily legal. The immigrants today are mostly illegal and steal the jobs from those who are here legally. They are, also, of a lower caliber than those who came over in the past. It’s not me saying this. It’s my wife’s extended family saying it. They explain that when the Mexican Revolution took the land away from the big land owners and gave it to the peasants, those lands are now overpopulated and the overflow is heading north. 
My in-laws still live in the RGV. They want the Wall, and they voted for Trump to get it. I didn’t vote for Trump, but I certainly understand those who did.
http://samslair.blogspot.com/2018/06/my-voting-on-global-warming-and.html?m=1

I left the RGV in 1989 at age forty. Because I’m a gringo, I had experienced increasing hostility from the younger generation of ‘immigrant Hispanics’ in stores and public places. On occasion, I would be left standing in line at fast food places as they would serve people who came in after me. And the late comers would take cuts in front of me without remorse. By 1995, virtually all of my Anglo friends had also fled. Now, my wife’s extended family are following suit. For them, the Wall does not protect them from the illegals already there.
Note: They can’t even decorate their yards for Christmas because the decorations are all stolen within a few days.

Note: Until 1982, I had a ranch. Illegals passing through had never been problematic. They steered clear of my domicile and drank well water from a tap that fed the stock trough. Then they started breaking in to the ranch houses and stealing. I made sure the sheriff’s deputies rounded them up. I pressed charges and had most of my stuff returned. But, two weeks later, they were on the loose again. They’d simply been shipped to Mexico and released. Next, they vandalized my shed and butchered a calf. And this was in addition to the drug smugglers using my neck-of-the-woods as a staging area. What finally forced me out was when a neighbor who was riding his horse was shot and killed by a stray bullet from an Uzi being test fired by a drug runner who ran guns into Mexico and brought drugs back the other way.

I sold my ranch. And, eventually it was completely abandoned. Not even the windmill turns anymore — no easy water for the deer and no cattle. Though I’m a city slicker now, I grieve the good that once was and is no more.

There’s much more that I could say, but even my current friends don’t entirely believe me when I try to tell them about life along the border. And if they won’t believe somebody they know who has had first hand experience, then it’s because they simply choose to “turn a blind eye and a deaf ear” to the situation facing the nation.

In later years, as global warming forces more and more people to flee equatorial zones, we will wish we’d built the Wall sooner. And, if you want to see how even a seemingly impenetrable border fence cannot stop large groups of desperate people, then watch the first half of the following YouTube video.
“Europe’s most fortified border is in Africa” (11 minutes)
https://youtu.be/LY_Yiu2U2Ts